Saturday, September 6, 2008

Listen to your mother....things NOT to say!

You know how you were taught to never ask a woman her age or when she is due (unless you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that she is pregnant)? Yeah? Well, here is another one to add to your list of questions to NEVER ask someone....

Last Sunday I was leaving church. A co-choir member buzzed up to me with her husband. She said she had been wanting to ask me something. Her husband mentioned that maybe she should just call me instead. I said, "yeah sure, just give me a call anytime." To which she replied, "Ok, I just really wanted to pick your brain. Our son keeps asking us about getting a procedure done and I wanted to ask you about your experience. I can't remember, did you have the lap band or gastric bypass?" Wow. I was thoroughly shocked and offended and after she said it she could tell. I replied, "I have never had either of those things. I run, excercise, and try to watch what I eat." Boy was her face red and boy was I offended. The first thought that came to my mind, "Ok little miss petite, so if you weigh over 130 lbs then you are a lap band candidate?"

Wow...just...wow...

Don't ever ask anyone that. Seriously, add it to your list....
SERIOUSLY

3 comments:

Jen said...

Ooohhhh, how unfortunate. I can certainly understand why you were offended! On the bright side, you must be looking FANTASTIC! And good for you for doing it the healthy way. Jeff says, "Don't be offended - it was a compliment on your thinness." He is never appropriately appalled at the things that upset women. He laughed when the woman at Burger King asked me if there was a baby in my tummy -- and that was BEFORE there was!

MJ said...

Yeah, Tim said I should take it as a compliment as well. However, I think I was offended mostly because by her asking which procedure I had done she was implying that I as some point would have needed or have been a candidate for one of the procedures. Truthfully, my weight has gone up and down my whole life. However, I have never at any point been 100 + pounds over my ideal weight and since I have know her I have definitely never been even close to my heaviest. So...again, if you're not sure then sometimes it is better to not say anything at all. Sometimes people just dont' think.

Katy said...

Was it someone I know? People used to ask me questions all the time thinking I was you! I received many compliments on your solos. :)